Dear Parents and Friends,
One more week before the next holiday, the Spring and Qingming Festival break that will take place during the 1st week of April. In the mean time, hereafter this week’s short summary to keep you informed.
Primary News. Our Readathon is in full swing and it is fantastic to see all the long paper chains on display outside classrooms, demonstrating how many minutes students have spent reading at home! Great job!
Thank you to all parents for encouraging students to read and for spending time reading with them: one more week of joint effort! Reading stories together in any language is extremely beneficial to develop student’s reading, speaking and literacy skills.
A special activity took place in the Art class, where Year 2 classes used charcoal that they created to draw natural resources for their Unit of Inquiry.
MYP Parent-Teacher- Student Conference. This week, the MYP Parent-Teacher- Student Conference took place on 21st March. We thank all parents who took the time and came to meet our Secondary teachers. It was a great opportunity to further illustrate our MYP programme and discuss the progress of their child(ren).
Mangahigh Asia Math Challenge. The 2018 Mangahigh Asia Math Challenge finished this week. Hanova students have completed their second successful participation: we had students from Year 3 all the way to Year 11 competing against students from 105 different schools in the Asian region. Our students have shown a great enthusiasm, commitment and knowledge in solving mathematical problems and have demonstrated their academic excellence in the competition. This year, 13 Hanova students will receive individual medals for their achievements. The students are:
- Larry Kim (Year 5B) Gold Medal
- Ellie Bae (Year 6A) Gold Medal
- Tabea Jarc (Year 5B) Gold Medal
- June Oh (Year 5B) Silver Medal
- Tze Tan (Year 4A) Silver Medal
- TzeYo Ng (Year 5B) Silver Medal
- Katherine Chung (Year 9) Silver Medal
- Xuan Tan (Year 6A) Silver Medal
- Jasmin Chan (Year 6A) Bronze Medal
- Justin Chang (Year 11) Bronze Medal
- Adele Yoon (Year 5A) Bronze Medal
- Henry Lee (Year 8) Bronze Medal
- Sally Lee (Year 6A) Bronze Medal
PYP Football. Thursday this week we hosted an Upper Primary football team from XHIS school, the first in 2018 after the flash tournament organized on Saturday 10th was cancelled due to poor air quality.
Our team started a little rusty, running too much and not being too clear when passing the ball. After the first goal, scored by Chris, our team could settle and played better, leading to a great goal scored by Edwin, a 15-meter shot. XHIS reacted in the second half, they got close and almost tied the game. The final score, Hanova 2 – XHIS 1, reflects the great defense and team effort of our students.
Well-done Hanova! Many thanks to the crowd who supported during all the time, to parents who came, to our PE department for the help, to our PYP Football Coach Mr. Brown ( email@example.com ) and to our colleague Mr. Sam, the referee.
Primary Student Led Conference. Our annual PYP Student Led Conference Day will be held on Friday May 18th. For PYP students, there will be no regular classes on this day, but you are asked to come for a conference time so that your child(ren) can share their learning and progress with you.
It will be a celebration of learning and there will also be demonstration of Specialist lessons and an opportunity to explore the school. More information will be sent home soon.
Thanks again for your continuing support.
Please note these upcoming dates for events and activities that will take place in the following weeks:
- Friday 30th March Primary Readathon ends
- Friday 30th March Year 13 IB2/5 (full and final) Reports
- Monday 2nd April Qingming Festival / Spring Break – School closes
- Monday 9th April School reopens
- Friday, 13th April MYP Personal Project Exhibition
- Friday, 13th April Year 13 DP Study Leave begins
- Friday 20th April Sports Day
- Monday, 30th April IB Diploma Exams start
- Monday 30th April May Day Holiday – School closes
- Wednesday 2nd May School reopens