Dear Parents and Friends,
Some news related to events and activities of the past week, continuing our progress towards the end of the year.
Year 6 Exhibition. In the final year of the Primary Years Programme, students participate in a culminating project known as the Exhibition. Students are required to engage in a collaborative transdisciplinary inquiry process that involves them in identifying, investigating and offering solutions to real-life issues or problems. The central idea must be of sufficient scope and significance to warrant a detailed investigation by all students.
The Exhibition has a number of key purposes:
- For students to engage in an in-depth, collaborative inquiry
- To provide students an opportunity to demonstrate independence and responsibility for their own learning
- To provide students with an opportunity to explore multiple perspectives
- For students to synthesize and apply learning of previous years and to reflect upon their journey through the PYP
- To provide an authentic process for assessing student understanding
- To demonstrate how students can take action as a result of their learning
- To unite the students, teachers, parents and other members of the school community in a collaborative experience that incorporates the essential elements of the PYP
- To celebrate the transition of learners in the primary to middle/secondary education
The major features of the program that should be evidenced throughout the exhibition are:
- The IB Learner Profile: Becoming internationally minded means achieving application of the learner profile. We strive to be: inquirers, risk-takers, thinkers, knowledgeable, communicators, caring, open-minded, reflective, balanced and principled.
- The Key Concepts: Transdisciplinary Skills, Social Skills, Communication Skills, Research Skills, Self-Management Skills, Attitudes, Action.
Hanova PYP Exhibition 2016. This is the first time ever in our school, and also the first time a PYP exhibition is organized in Central and NorthWest China. Congratulations to our teachers and students!
- The Organizing Theme: “Who We Are”
- Central Idea: “Different Cultures have different perspectives and beliefs and some of them may destroy but some may protect our global family.”
- Lines of Inquiry: Developed and articulated by the students.
Secondary School Play. Hanova Secondary students are proud to present an original school production: “Can You Hear Us? A Refugee story”. The struggles of refugees and displaced people around the world is real, and this year the Secondary Arts Faculty selected this as our global theme of study.
“Can You Hear Us?” is a dramatic collection of refugee stories from around the world and the individuals and groups who are helping. Together, staff and students have created a production that will open our minds and hearts. While the content of the show is suitable for all audiences, younger audiences may not find it entertaining.
Please join us on Friday June 3rd at 6:00pm for our performance of “Can You Hear Us?”. Tickets are ¥30 per person or ¥80 for a family. All proceeds will be donated to the Carter Center, a non-profit organization that seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
ECAs. Please notice that next Wednesday May 25th is our final ECA day for this school year. ECAs will begin again after summer holidays for the next school year.
School Uniforms. We remind to parents again that students should wear appropriate school uniform. If you have any problem please don’t hesitate to contact our Liaison officer Ms. Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Security. A reminder about our strengthened security measures on campus, in preparation of the end of the year events: please make sure to send the requested photo to our Liaison officer Ms. Yang (email@example.com).
Thanks again for your continuing support.
- Monday, May 23rd Year 10-12 examinations start (whole week)
- Friday 27th May Year 6 PYP Exhibition
- Friday 3rd June Art Exhibition
- Friday 3rd June Secondary School Production: “Can You Hear Us?”
- Saturday, Jun 4th SAT Examination
- Friday 10th June Year 11 Prom
- Saturday, Jun 11th School Carnival
- Friday, Jun 17th Final Assemblies
- Friday, Jun 17th Last day of school