Dear Parents and Friends,
Our academic and administrative highlights for the past week, and a list of the upcoming events up to the Qingming holiday break.
Year 11 IGCSE Mock Exams. Last year Hanova became a Cambridge School and this year we will have the first set of examinations. Students in Year 11 who will be sitting IGCSE examinations this May will be taking the “Mock Exams”: a series of examinations between the 14th and 23rd March as practice for the real ones, since these mock exams will have the same format as the IGCSE examination in May. Secondary School has arranged the logistics and has distributed the timetable to all involved students, parents and teachers. Please note that the exams start at 8.45am and any student sitting these exams should be in school at least 15 minutes before the start: if this involves your children please make suitable arrangements. Thanks for the support.
ManageBac Flyer. We are using a management software to manage the students’ curriculum needs: ManageBac, the leading online learning platform for IB world schools. This software has been designed to support teaching and learning through careful tracking and monitoring of the IB curriculum. ManageBac enables efficient curriculum planning, assessment and reporting, enhancing communication to parents and students with no paperwork needed. In order let parents know better how to use ManageBac to be informed of the progress of their children, we will distribute a small brochure, available in three languages – English, Chinese and Korean.
Nursery Admission. Hanova International School will start admitting students who turn 3 years old by 1st April, 2016. Students will be admitted on the condition that they will be placed in the same class/level the following school year. This will help the students learn their routines, familiarize with their teachers and environment, and prepare them for Nursery class 2016-2017. If interested, please see the Hanova office or visit our website for admission procedures.
Arbor Day. Arbor Day is a holiday in which individuals and groups are encouraged to plant and care for trees. In China, this day is 12th March every year. This week, our Year 6 students were invited by Chan-Ba Ecological District Management Committee to participate in this tree-planting event. Our students will benefit from this work, which links with the concepts taught in class about sustainable actions!
PYP House Activities. The PYP department is getting ready for the next round of inter-house activities. The students are busy practicing in P.E the necessary skills required for their respective activities. The activities will start next week with the following:
- Year 3 & Year 4 – Tuesday 15th March, period 7 and 8 (Dodgeball)
- Year 1 & Year 2 – Thursday 17th March. period 7 and 8 (Half field football)
- Nursery & Reception – Friday 25th March, period 3 and 4 (Fun movement based activities)
- Year 5 & Year 6 – Tuesday 29th March, period 7 and 8 (Dodgeball)
These activities are aimed to build the enthusiasm within the students about their houses before they have their Sports Day on 15th April.
PYP Assembly Changes. Due to clashes in the timetable, there will be changes to the PYP assembly roster. The new roster is as follows:
- Friday 18th March – no assembly (the Auditorium is used for IGCSE mock exams)
- Friday 25th March – Year 3
- Friday 1st April – Nursery
- The Year 6 assembly, which was to be held on the 25th March has been moved to 26th and 27th May, when the students will present their Exhibitions.
Sorry for any inconvenience that these changes may have caused.
Upcoming Events. Please take note of these upcoming events during the month of March and April:
- Tuesday, 15th March University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown at 2:30pm
- Friday, 18th March Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management at 2:00pm
- Friday, 25th March Hope College – 2:30pm
- April 2nd – 10th Qingming Spring Break
- Monday, April 11th School Reopens
- Friday, April 15th Sports Day
Thanks again for your continuing support.